Time is something we all have and that, famously, waits for no one. “I just haven’t got the time” is a common workplace complaint and it can be frustrating when everybody wants a piece of your time, tasks start to build up and it can become overwhelming.
So, here are some tips and on how you can better manager your time, get more things done and ultimately feel more satisfied at the end of your working day.
Group and prioritise your activities
- Use lists. Create a list of all the activities you are involved with and put them into groups/categories
- Prioritise. Think about what your main objective is and which group is most important in terms of achieving that goal
Make a daily To Do list
- Get into the habit of updating it at the same time on a daily basis. Remember, human beings are habit machines so do this regularly and it will become second nature.
- Label them as High, Medium and Low Value and keep the list in a prominent place where you will always see it and it’s always accessible.
Tackle each item based on its value, starting with the High ones
- It is also a good idea to have a list of small tasks to be completed for when you need a break or you have some spare time – which you are sure to have when you follow these time management tips!
Make sure you limit your To Do list to one that is achievable for that day
- That way you will have that overwhelming sense of achievement when you finish work at the end of the day.
Don’t put off the things
Don’t be tempted to postpone the tasks that you dislike and, by the same token, include things you do enjoy. It will help give you the juice to keep going.
Allow for unexpected interruptions
- Have a contingency plan in place for those interruptions which are unavoidable. If you deem any of them unnecessary then see what can be done to minimise them or at least the chance of them happening.
Set time limits
- For when people ask for your time such as a meeting request, and be firm about it. If it’s not suitable offer up an alternative solution such as a different day.
What do you find works well when it comes to time management? We’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.